"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-- Socrates

Friday, September 9, 2011

Welcome to Room 108!!

Welcome to Kindergarten at Lawrence Avenue Elementary! Our first few weeks have been filled with fun...getting to know new friends, reacquainting with old chums...learning new routines and getting into the groove again! I don't think I've had such a large group of nappers since I started teaching kindergarten!

We have enjoyed nursery rhymes, Buster the Bus and reviewing shapes and colors as well as singing and dancing to many new songs.

This year will be full of new experiences for your child and for me! Lawrence Avenue faculty has been researching and learning all about the Daily 5 management strategy for our Reading time. It's a way to structure our time to best meet the individual needs of our students in the area of Reading. In order for the Daily 5 to be successful, students are trained to be independent learners in the classroom (you may have heard your child mention the word stamina). They are given more and more responsibility as the year progresses. I am very excited to implement this strategy in my classroom this year.

Below you will find a slideshow of our class in action during the first weeks of school. I would like to thank you for all the donations you have made to our classroom and I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to you at our Meet the Teacher Night. Please don't hesitate to contact me concerning your child.

Thank you for sharing your child with me! I can already tell we are going to have a wonderful year!


No comments:

Post a Comment